Thursday, January 20, 2011

Using an iPad for School // Notes


Being a geek I have always had people ask me questions about how I use various pieces of technology and how I like them. One device that has brought the most questions to me is my iPad. For now I'm going to refrain from doing any sort of review on my iPad but I may get to that later if I feel like it.

One of the things that I think the iPad does the best is take notes. This may not seem like much to most people but for me I take notes for an hour on my iPad every day so I have really enjoyed it. One of the best purchases for my iPad that I have made is a bluetooth keyboard. To some people this may seem foolish because it is affectively a screen and a keyboard that you type on. Does this remind anyone of something? Maybe a laptop! However I would choose the iPad with a keyboard over a laptop any time. Many people complain that the iPad can't multitask and it can only do one thing at a time but I have actually come to enjoy this. I like it because I can't really get distracted. I can only ever have my notes open. Opening Facebook takes quite a bit of work and I can't just click over. Also the word processor takes up the entire screen, which almost never happens on a real computer.

Now the question becomes what program to use for note taking. Some people I know use Evernote, others use Simplenote, and still others use Pages. I prefer Pages personally because it is the most powerful when it actually comes to word processing and it ties into the iOS the best. Evernote is good if you want to be able to sync your notes with an online database. Simplenote is nice and clean but not particularly powerful so if you only need simple note taking Simplenote may be for you. I'm sure there are other programs like Plaintext for Dropbox but I've never really looked into them. That's it for now, I'll post some more about using the iPad later.

: Nate Holland :

No comments:

Post a Comment